A part of Halifax culture since day one
Since the city's founding in 1749, the Royal Artillery had always maintained a presence in Halifax. In 1869, it was the 3rd Brigade of the Royal Artillery who served there. The members of the Regiment were barracked in Royal Artillery Park, Glacis Barracks on the slope of Citadel Hill and within the outlying fortifications.
(Lack of) strength in numbers
The number of gunners rarely exceeded 350 and they were responsible for more than 2,700 guns within the city's defence complex. To help make up for the shortage of trained gunners, Artillery NCOs spent much of their time instructing infantry and militia on artillery drill.
In addition to this training, the Royal Artillery was also responsible for firing the daily noon and evening signal guns from the ramparts of the Citadel and for manning the Citadel's Signal Post.
A tradition lives on
Today, members of the re-created 3rd Brigade, wearing their distinctive blue uniforms, continue this tradition with the year-round daily firing of the noon gun and the display of commercial and military signal flags during the summer months.